Thursday, August 27, 2009

Swimming with the big fish




Oh my! We had breakfast at a new restaurant in town this morning. I'm so silly. I had read about it in the paper. I knew it was yet another restaurant by a very well known and much lauded chef/owner and yet it didn't dawn on me that it would be quite so elegant. D'oh.

So off we went in our typical jeans attire. It looked perfectly "regular" when we walked in and saw some tables - turned out that was just the Cafe and Take Out part of the restaurant. Geez. Then we were led to this lovely sunny posh room at the back for the full service breakfast.

I felt like such a slob. Ay yi yi. There were three or four other tables occupied by very well dressed and spiffed and polished up men, the movers and the shakers, taking calls and talking about money deals and bottom lines. And us. So very much not, the mover and shaker types. Thank heavens for us, L.A. is pretty forgiving in the sartorial department, with not much adherence (or reverence) for dress codes.

Then we went on our way to the Getty Museum (we had made it to the Getty Villa earlier in the summer but not to the Museum yet). We saw a lovely, albeit teeny tiny, exhibit of French landscapes (Capturing Nature's Beauty: Three Centuries of French Landscapes), a very small photography exhibit (In Focus: Making a Scene) and lots of French bronzes (Cast in Bronze: French Sculpture from Renaissance to Revolution).

I was really looking forward to seeing the illuminated manuscripts because it was my mother and my favorite. We used to go every couple of months and see the new exhibit of manuscripts. The amazing beauty and artistry and perfection of the calligraphy, delighted us. Unfortunately the exhibit was closed to make way for a new one to open in September. But then that is as it should be - September is the 13th anniversary of my mother's passing and I will go and think of mom and share the latest with her.

(Capturing Nature's Beauty: Three Centuries of French Landscapes)

(Cast in Bronze: French Sculpture from Renaissance to Revolution)

(In Focus: Making a Scene)

No comments:

Post a Comment